Thursday 20 August 2015

Baking and Freezing Cakes - Ethan and Harley Turn 1! (9 day party countdown)

My boys are turning a big ONE in 8 days so thought I better start cracking with their main cakes to freeze now, so they are all ready to defrost and start decorating the day before the party.

Making cakes to freeze
(PS - sorry my pics are bad, the cakes look blackened and burnt! They are cooked perfectly, but the tops always get a tad crispy as my oven is a furnace! I'll be chopping the tops off anyway when I assemble the cakes.)
Twins are double the love, double the fun, double the trouble and DOUBLE THE CAKES!! And with the new smash cake trend for 1 year old birthdays, it's not 2 cakes, but 4 cakes that I have to make! (I don't want them to share one as I think it's important that they have their own every year!...though that would be easier!)
Today I thought I'd tackle their 'main cakes'. I want them to be huge and impressive, and 'healthy' so each cake will consist of 4 layers alternating with the Magic Bean Cake and Sweet Potato Caramel Mudcake (= 8 cakes!).

Magic Bean Cake Recipe:
I doubled each batch of this recipe then distributed between 2 x 20cm cake tins and baked 2 at a time. I can still smell the whiff of red kidney beans up my nose, but by the end of mixing it up it's just like a good old chocolate cake!
If you don't have a Thermomix you could make this up with a food processor and hand held/electric beater. The first part of the recipe is to blitz the red kidney beans mixture and set aside to add later. the rest of the recipe is just like a normal cake recipe with beating the eggs, sugar etc.
I did not use coffee in this, just water, since it'll be eaten by kids.

Magic Bean Cake ready for the oven
Magic Bean Cake out of the oven

Sweet Potato Caramel Mudcake Recipe:
This recipe is very specific with the temperatures to cook the sweet potato/caramel mixture), so I made one at a time, making 2 before putting 2 in the oven at the same time. After cooking the sweet potato, the recipe indicates to blitz twice and scrape down. I got lazy on my last 2 cakes and didn't do this, but it looked pretty much the same when I was pouring it in the tins, but I'll have to wait for the boys birthday party to see if the taste/texture is ok!

Sweet Potato Caramel Mudcake ready for the oven


Sweet Potato Caramel Mudcake out of the oven
  
Cleaning the bowl
I find that the Sweet Potato Caramel cake with all the heating up of the caramel mixture always leaves the bottom of the bowl really dirty and hard to clean, so luckily after making my 8 cakes, I had used 28 eggs = 28 eggshells to use with freshly picked lemons from the backyard, to do the lemon and eggshell wash:
1. Place lemons and eggshells in bowl and blitz 5 seconds/Speed 7.
2. Pour water to cover blade.
3. Set - 30 minutes/60 degrees/Speed 1.
Result = Sparkly brand new bowl!

Dirty bowl

Lemon and Eggshells

Brand New Bowl!
Freezing the cakes
To freeze cakes in preparation to be decorated:
1. Wait for each cake to completely cool.
2. Double wrap with plastic cling wrap.
3. Double wrap with foil.
4. Place in a large zip lock bag and label.
5. Place flat in the freezer.


Cling wrap, foil then ziplock bag
The day before the party, I plan to defrost the cakes first thing in the morning (takes a few hours), then start decorating.
With 8 cakes made before midday with all my mummy duties, I just loooove my Thermomix!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment