Tuesday 1 December 2015

Easy Carbonara Pasta Sauce (Non Thermomix Recipe)

This is another pasta sauce I've been making for many years and is a favourite with my immediate and extended family, so I make it for most family events as it is great for a side dish. It is also great to make for weekday dinners with leftovers for lunch/dinner the next day! This is super quick and easy and is one of those recipes I make if I can't think what else to make as it is always delicious!
 
 
Easy Carbonara Pasta
 
I always have bacon in the freezer, so I usually put anywhere from 250 to 500 grams in this recipe (depending on how meaty I feel like having it) - I chose 300 grams for the recipe below. You could also add chicken and fry it with the bacon, or even add leftover roast chicken to bulk it up.
 
I usually use penne or fettucine pasta's with this (depends what I feel like or what I have in the pantry!)
 
I make this in the frying pan (instead of Thermomix) as I loved bacon when it's fried and charred/smokey and it brings a depth of flavours with the garlic and onion - mmmmmm!!
 
EASY CARBONARA SAUCE (NON THERMOMIX RECIPE)
 
Ingredients
 
1 tablespoon Rice Bran Oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 x brown onion (diced)
Approx. 300 grams short cut bacon (cut into 1/2cm strips)
1 x 600ml bottle thickened cream
1 x handful of chopped fresh parsley or 1-2 teaspoons of dried parsley flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 x handful of shredded parmesan cheese
(Optional) 1 tablespoon *Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning
 
 
Easy Carbonara Pasta Sauce Ingredients
 
Method
 
1. In a medium to large frying pan, heat the rice bran oil on high heat.
 
2. Add the minced garlic and fry till browned.
 
3. Add the diced onion and fry till browned.
 
4. Add the bacon strips and fry till browned/shrunken in size.
 
5. Add the thickened cream and turn to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
 
6. Add the parsley, salt and pepper, and Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning (optional) and simmer on low until ready to serve.
 
 
Easy Carbonara Pasta Sauce simmering
 
7. Cook and stir through pasta and top with parmesan cheese.
 
 
Serve with any type of pasta and top with parmesan cheese
 
This sauce is perfect for 1 x standard 500gm packet of pasta. I made this to go with a (3 - 4 serving) batch of homemade penne pasta in my new Philips Pasta machine - soooo delicious!!!

*Note: Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning is one of my favourite finds at Costco. I don't actually like it as a garlic bread spread (I prefer real garlic and butter), but it gives that something special when seasoning my pasta sauces and mashed potato.

 
Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning

 

No comments:

Post a Comment