Sunday 25 October 2015

Rhubarb, Apple and Strawberry Custard Crumble

After buying some fresh produce from the local markets today, I was inspired to make something with the rhubarb I bought! I have never cooked with rhubarb before, but the first thing that came to mind was apple and rhubarb crumble!
 
 
 Rhubarb, Apple and Strawberry Custard Crumble
 
I came across this recipe and added strawberries freshly picked from my dad's yard.
 
Rhubarb, apple and sour cream custard crumble:
 
 
This recipe stood out to me as it included the custard with the crumble - custard is usually added when the crumble is being served so bonus points that it was all in one! However my favourite plus side of this recipe is that there is no washing required between the fruit --> custard --> crumble layers.
 
 
Add 6 x apples (I used 5 red, 1 green) + 1 bunch of rhubarb + 1 tsp cinnamon + 50 grams sugar (maxed out my TM5 bowl!)
 

20 seconds/Speed 5 stirring with the spatula through the MC hole
 
 
Fruit mixture
 
 
Place fruit mixture in a large baking dish - Bake for 10 mins at 200 degrees (preheated)
 
 
After 10 minutes of baking
 
 
Add 400 grams sour cream + 2 tsp vanilla extract (I used my homemade one) + 60 grams sugar + 2 eggs + 20 grams cornflour - Mix 5 seconds/Speed 6
 
 
Pour custard over fruit mixture
 
 
Place a punnet of washed and quartered strawberries over the custard
 
 
Add 100 grams oats + 100 grams almonds + 100 grams shredded coconut + 100 grams butter + 100 grams brown sugar + 1 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 tsp nutmeg
 
 
Turbo function x 4
 
 
Place and spread crumble mixture evenly over fruit and custard mixture. Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 180 degree oven
 
 
Ready once the crumble has browned - Rhubarb, Apple and Strawberry Custard Crumble
 
 
This is after 5 generous servings - conservatively serves 12!
 
 
Rhubarb, Apple and Strawberry Custard Crumble

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment